9.18.2008

A Little Bit Different Style Upcycled Tee Carry~All Tote




This is my first upcycled T shirt Carry~All. I made it for a wonderful friend as a surprise gift. I can't wait until she receives it. It's all ready for the postman. :) But first...

I started by adding a liner {wrong sides together} because the T shirt was quite thin. Oh, yes, I should say here that it was beyond the clothing life stage. The liner is also a former blouse. If you know me even the teeniest little bit, you know they came from thrift stores. This is {at least} their third life.


I wanted this bag to have my own signature style, which I call
Thread Tramp Art ~ with heart :). Here you can see the pinked edges being basted before the next step ~ simply turning them under & leaving them raw.



Just for kicks, I turned one edge the opposite way. I added marbled fabric strips to the straps for 3 reasons: style, durability & added length. A handy key clip extension piece is attached along one seam. It flops inside or out at will!


Inside design is as much fun as outside. The little gecko is from my boys' favorite pair of shorts. They date back to 1980 -ish. Still going strong.


I sewed up the side and bottom. Added the straps and here is the finished creation. As my lovely friend, Pearl, says: TADA!


I love it and I hope my friend will too. Maybe I will make another one. Well, what would you do if your mother asked you? :) {Seuss quotes, anyone?}

13 comments:

Judy Nolan said...

This is great, Joon--so you, and "sew" creative! What a great use for old T-shirts with great sayings on them!

Jill said...

This is adorable. And perfectly JoonBeam!

Precious Quilts said...

Very nice, great idea which I am sure your friend will love!

Dayna said...

great bag....love the design on the outside. I'd use it as my everyday bag!

Zuda Gay Pease said...

I'd take him home and name him Clark! Adorable bag!!! She will love it!!!

Rose said...

Love the way you create Joon, great idea for the bag!

Nuvofelt said...

What a super idea. And if it was a plain T shirt it wouldn't take long to pop some paint on! What fun.

erin, maker of chimes said...

What a cute bag you've created!

Anonymous said...

I love this Joonie !! What a wonderful bag. Your friend
will love it. Great work .

Emmanuelle said...

I Love upcycling Tees too and love your tote. Great job!

tamdoll said...

Fantastic job, it looks great!

maryeb said...

That's a great idea. I like how interesting the pattern on the tee makes the bag look.

Stacy's Designs 88 said...

LoVe the bag. So Joon Original! I know you're friend must've been so Happy to receive this special gift. Great to see your creative projects. Thanks for sharing! :)