2.07.2010

New England Tea Cake & Tag Repair

This morning I was looking at an incredible little handmade cookbook I found at the thrift store this week. I want to make one just like it. Maybe I will. I happened upon a recipe for a cake similar to this one that has been in my family for ??? It was interesting to see the two recipes side by side because some of the measurements were the exact same, some were half and some were double --- and I started thinking about just how much leeway we have when we 'follow' a recipe.

We have altered our original a bit. We double the filling/topping mix. I wanted to take a picture before we cut into it. As you can see, no dice. I think you can see how pretty it is, nonetheless. And it tastes even better than it looks.

I also repaired a small hole in Scout's sleeve. She chose the tag from my collection which you can see a tiny bit of in the second photo below. I use clothing tags to repair everything. Some of my favorite shirts, pants, sheets and kitchen towels are peppered with them. I think they make whatever they are added to better than they were in the first place. I love going through the tags because it's like a treasure chest. I forget what's in there. I also love collecting funky tags. This is not too hard for me because I only buy used clothing and I always remove the tags because I have the princess and the pea syndrome. A serious case. These shouldn't be hidden anyway, right?

Until tomorrow... It's a great day for America, everybody. Yes it is.

Posted via email from just joon

No comments: