10.27.2009

Joon Appetit ~ Rocky Mountain Barbecue 101


Today's recipe is my custom version that
I adapted from a recipe in the fabulous
Colorado Cache Cookbook,
one of my top 10 favorites.


Aye, here's the RUB

1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 TBSP. chili powder
2 crushed bay leaves {I simply crumble with my hands.}
Combine in your favorite small bowl.
See below.


Take out:
one gorgeous 4 pound brisket
medium size roasting pan
Large piece of foil {or lid}

PREHEAT OVEN: 325*



Isn't this pretty?



Place your brisket FAT SIDE UP in your casserole pan.
Caution: Do not freak out over the amount of fat.
Just quickly sprinkle your beautiful rub
generously all over it and you'll be OK.
I mean, seriously, look at that photo.
It's all good.


Cover pan tightly with foil {or lid}.
Bake for 4 hours. How easy is this?

When you remove the brisket, place it on
a cutting board and
scrape off the spices and fat. Discard.
Slice thinly across the grain.

Serve on buns.
Smothered in this fantastically
delicious and easy BBQ sauce...




joonie, I will be first in line to buy your cookbook barbecue sauce:

About 20 minutes before your brisket is done
combine these ingredients in a medium size saucepan.

3 TBSP brown sugar
1 14 oz. bottle of Heinz ketchup { 1 3/4 cups}
1/2 cup water
4 TBSP. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. celery salt
6 TBSP. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
few shakes of pepper

Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer.
Simmer until meat is ready, stirring occasionally.
Spoon generously over sliced brisket.
Line up at your local bookstore ... someday soon.


Watch your family & friends dash away with their prize.

We serve ours on buttered stove top grilled buns
with a side of Evan's fabby freshly home made coleslaw.
Oh ~ on our Scout designed plates.
I need to photograph those and
share them here.

Come back and see me
after dinner. I want to
know your story.

ox joon

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow what a wonderful recipe ! You are the best joonie.

Judy Nolan said...

Hmmm...yum! It's not even close to dinner time, and already I'm hungry.

On a Whimsey said...

OOOh I am drooling! This sounds soooooo good!

I love how you picture the ingredients - so much easier to remember.

Rose said...

Another winner Joon.. I know its been asked before, but how do you stay so slim with all this good food around?

Colours and Textures said...

Looks delishhhhh

Dena said...

WOW, What a delicious looking BBQ!! Thanks for sharing... I am starving now.... :)

jstinson said...

Sounds good to me. Brisket is one of my favorite meats! So full of flavor. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

It was FANTASTIC! I am sure I ate way too much of this delicious brisket. But I will always have room for more. MMMMM MMMMM

~*~Pearl~*~ said...

OMG! YUMMY!!! real freakin food! I think I remember real food?